In the summer of 1931, Gordon Symonds (Port Maitland, NS), travelled with a tent to Liverpool to evangelize to the people there. The speakers that went along with him were Rev. Hanley Mullen and Rev. Fraser Dunlop. They were in Liverpool for three weeks but had very little success. They decided to carry on with their mission but in a different location a bit closer to Yarmouth. Failing to find somewhere along the way, they found a field in Central Woods Harbour that seemed perfect for what they wanted to do. The owner of the land happily granted them access to his land. 

The tent was set up in Woods Harbour for three summers. Rev. Hallett Mullen and Rev. Hartley Mullen came to help with the preaching. The services were filled each night with many people encountering Jesus for the first time.  

Original "House Church".

Original "House Church".

The church was led by Miss Grace Sanders who came in 1932 while she was on a pause from overseas mission work. She held meetings in the homes of some of those saved in the tent meetings first and later a hall was rented in Upper Woods Harbour to carry on these same purposes. Eventually, a house was rented across the road from the current church building. Miss Sanders remained there until 1936. 

In August of 1931, Rev. Hartley Mullen had conducted the first baptisms with 12 people being baptized. Two years later, the Woods Harbour Reformed Baptist Church was organized. 

Renovation.

Renovation.

After the departure of Miss Sanders, Mr. Gordon Symonds began to travel to Woods Harbour to step in and help with preaching. He did this for a year until he became the pastor full time. By this point, the church had purchased an old house on the hill across from the present church location. Sometime in 1931, the old house church was torn down and a new building was built in its place. The following winter, the new church was dedicated with one hundred and fifteen people present. Years later, an addition was built onto the present church building which expanded the worship centre and the basement, effectively doubling the size of the church, enabling us to accommodate many more people. The church was also transformed to a different doctrine. In 2018, the church modernized the lobby and sanctuary.